[aprssig] Need Loran-C sample data

Joe Della Barba joe at dellabarba.com
Fri Oct 29 19:39:43 EDT 2004

Isn't there a GPS simulator program that puts out test NMEA data. Loran data
is almost identical, maybe it could be tweaked to do that too.
This may help you out some:
http://nmeatool.nmea2000.de/eng/e_home.html
http://www.engalt.com/dt-1nmea.htm
 or try this:

For this, I wrote a short simulator  program
in BASIC that does the job, and allows me to program in the  text
I want to send. The connection is different, also. This time  you
will  have  to connect the NMEA signal line to  RS-232  "transmit
data"  (#3 on 9 pin or #2 on 25 pin connectors), and NMEA  ground
to  RS-232 signal ground (as before). In addition,  you  probably
will have to bring the RS-232 "data set ready" (DSR) terminal  to
a  low  voltage. You can do this by inserting  a  jumper  between
"data  terminal  ready" (DTR, normally #4 on 9 pin or #20  on  25
pin) and DSR (#6 on 9 or 25 pin setups).
     Here is the text of my NMEA 0183 simulator program:

5   REM LORAN SIMULATOR PROGRAM - Wayne Simpson, 1991
10  OPEN "com2:4800,n,8,1,RS" FOR OUTPUT AS#1
15  REM setup RS-232 to parameters and disable request to send
100 A$="$LCGLL,4004.22,N,07409.78,W"
110 B$="$LCBWC,,4001.80,N,07403.66,W,100,T,200,M,005.2,N,011"
120 C$="$LCAPA,V,A,0.25,R,N,V,V,300,T,011"
130 D$="$LCVTG,,,268,M,02.1,N,,"
140 E$=""
200 PRINT A$    'print GLL statement to screen
205 PRINT#1,A$  'send GLL over interface
210 PRINT B$    'BWC to screen
215 PRINT#1,B$  'BWC to interface
220 PRINT C$    'APA to screen
225 PRINT#1,C$  'APA to interface
230 PRINT D$    'VTG to scren
235 PRINT#1,D$  'VTG to interface
240 PRINT E$    'empty line to screen
245 PRINT#1,E$  'empty line to interface
300 FOR I=1 TO 12000
310 NEXT
320 GOTO 200
330 REM line 300 provides the 2 second rep rate
340 REM line 320 repeats the transmission over and over
350 REM use ctrl-brk keystroke to terminate transmission

     Load  this program into your computer, substitute  into  the
A$-E$  variables whatever it is you want to say, and run it.  You
are  now speaking NMEA, and can do a fair job of  troubleshooting
interface problems this way.

Joe
73 de N3HGB