[aprssig] The New N-N paradigm CAN WORK

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Oct 28 00:53:45 EDT 2004

Well, yes, I could work, but it will take much coordination to define the
LANn-N areas, and travelling users will have to pay attention to where
they are and keep adjusting their path accordingly.  People who live near
LAN boundaries will have to choose whether their packets will go one way
or the other.  I see work, confusion, and frustration for all.

If instead, you give each digi operator the capability to define their own
service area, and encourage them to simply drop any packets originating
outside that area, you make obnoxious DXing on APRS impossible, the users
can still use a 'mostly universal' RELAY, WIDE2-2 path, and we solve the
problem without adversely imnpacting anyone's daily operations.  Just a
one-time investment of time, and then only by the programmers and digi
operators.  And if the truckers who travel the wide open spaces of the
west need to run WIDE7-7 to get into an igate on some parts of their run,
they can do so, and their packets won't flood the LA basin when they're
'only' five hops away.

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin