[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Wed Oct 27 10:25:03 EDT 2004

On 10/27/04 at 8:06 AM Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> sent:

>I like this one.
>Getting to the internet is easy and easy to fix.
>It is easier to put up an IGate than a digi.
>Let FINDU not show anyone with a path longer than 3.

Besides the fact that findU does not currently parse out paths because they are
irrelevent to its mission, all this does is shift the burden of educating
wayward users from the entire APRS community to me. When a page doesn't show,
I'm the one that would get the email from Joe Ham, or worse his wife or kids,
I'm the one that would need to explain things to them. I do not have the time or
inclination to do this.

I am short of time now, and cannot implement path parsing at this time in any
event. At most, IF someone creates a clear, concise web site explaining why
excessive paths are bad, including instruction on how to fix them in all the
popular APRS programs and trackers, then at some point when I have time, I'll
add parsing, and place a notice on the web page with a link to the educational
web site. A person or group would also need to volunteer to be the contact to
handle all questions on this that do end up directed to me.

I won't be the APRS path cop, but I am willing to help.

Steve K4HG