[aprssig] Bogus ssid's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Oct 14 02:51:30 EDT 2004

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 10/14/04 2:39:58 AM >>>
Should be easy to find the D700 with UIFLOOD set to NOID:

ANother powerful command in APRSdos would be on the
DIGIpath page.  Do a JUST -15 and it will list only those
calls that are -15 (usually base calls -0 that have been
decremented by 1).  Then look at where all those -15's
are.  (Also check the -14's etc.)
SHould be easy to see what direction they are from you
and that should tell you where the messed up digi is...

Bob

In APRSdos do a JUST-MOBILES so only mobiles are shown
then look at just those that are on the air NOW.  DO this
during non-commute hours and there wont be many on,
so it should be quite easy to guess at one or two.  THen
do some testing by sending your path via a fixed path to
get to that digi with a WIDE1-1 followed b y another specific
hop to get it back to you... If the SSID is decremented, you
found it..

>>> awolfe at Route24.net 10/13/04 4:52:37 PM >>>
     East central Illinois and western Indiana have been plagued by
someone
changing the SSID's on repeated packets for several months now. When I
check
the Heard-list, usually 10 to 15 percent of the stations are bogus.
According to Mr. Bob, it is someone with a D700 set up incorrectly
causing
this. The spurious SSID's usually follow the correct one, decremented
by
one.  -15 becomes -14, etc. I have watched W9DF-15 come across, then
get
bounced back and forth all the way to W9DF-9 in a few seconds for
example.
    In trying to see what was going on, I changed my path from Wide to

Trace, as some of my reports were being changed. It was then that I
noticed
that packets with Trace never seem to get mangled. Maybe we should all
use
Trace instead of Wide?
    We have yet to figure out who is changing the SSID's but usually
they
come through Lafayette, Indiana.
    Does anyone know how we can ID the culprit and get this fixed?

73,
Al, K9SI