[aprssig] pcmcia serial for TNC

Mike Yetsko myetsko at insydesw.com
Wed Oct 13 20:19:19 EDT 2004

> I know this is an age old problem... my laptop has one serial port, I
have a TNC
> and a GPS.  Does anyone have any suggestion for a PCMCIA serial card
that has
> drivers for linux?  I've found Eiger labs cards on EBAY, but can't
confirm that
> they will work under linux.
>
> HSP cable is not an option for me, since the GPS must remain in Garmin
Host mode
> and is not streaming data all the time.
> Wes

Sorry about that, it was 'softwareandstuff.com' who have a home page at:

    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/index.html

and clicking on the card links to:

    http://www.surpluscomputers.com/CRD10182.html

The key is you have to have a 'CardBus' slot, not the older PCMCIA slot.

They 'say' it's for PCMCIA, but the card itself says 'CardBus', and from a
technical standpoint, I would think it would be pretty darn close to
impossible,
and surely impractical, to do USB from PCMCIA.