[aprssig] Bogus ssid's

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Wed Oct 13 16:52:37 EDT 2004

     East central Illinois and western Indiana have been plagued by someone
changing the SSID's on repeated packets for several months now. When I check
the Heard-list, usually 10 to 15 percent of the stations are bogus.
According to Mr. Bob, it is someone with a D700 set up incorrectly causing
this. The spurious SSID's usually follow the correct one, decremented by
one.  -15 becomes -14, etc. I have watched W9DF-15 come across, then get
bounced back and forth all the way to W9DF-9 in a few seconds for example.
    In trying to see what was going on, I changed my path from Wide to
Trace, as some of my reports were being changed. It was then that I noticed
that packets with Trace never seem to get mangled. Maybe we should all use
Trace instead of Wide?
    We have yet to figure out who is changing the SSID's but usually they
come through Lafayette, Indiana.
    Does anyone know how we can ID the culprit and get this fixed?

73,
Al, K9SI