[aprssig] Chemical sensors

Mike Yetsko myetsko at insydesw.com
Thu Oct 7 22:53:32 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Chadwick" <russ at wxqa.com>

> Does anyone know of an inexpensive sensor that can measure the
concentration
> of a given gas in the atmosphere?  For example, something that could
give
> the concentration of poison gas as might be used in a terrorist chemical
> attack.  A device that could monitor the concentration of this gas might
be
> a good addition to APRS weather stations situated in large cities.  I'd
> appreciate it if you could send me any URLs off line.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Russ Chadwick    KB0TVJ
> Boulder, Colorado, USA
> http://www.wxqa.com

I think you already hit part of the problem.  A 'specific' gas.  How many
different
types of gas, and how many types of sensors.

That's why, if ANYTHING gets developed as an ICON and methodology
for APRS it will probably be a generic 'bad air' symbol, although it may
be
divided into 3 separate categories for 'type'.  Those being chemical,
biological, or radiological.

Mike