[aprssig] A math problem concerning Lat and Long

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Tue Oct 5 20:42:00 EDT 2004

Hi All
         Could someone please give me a formula to solve the
following problem.

Given a known Latitude and Longitude you move for example 8 stature
miles due west and then move 8 stature miles due north.
After moving this distance and direction what is your new Latitude
and Longitude?

Or put another way.

Draw a x and y axis on a pice of paper. The origin is
49.8167N and 73.1333W
what is the Latitude and Longitude of a point that is 8 miles due
west by 8 miles due north?

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs