[aprssig] Re: Not in HTML Format Please...

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Oct 3 22:25:27 EDT 2004

KC2MMI replied Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 6:01 PM

> Keith, I fully agree with you. But what's with your post, and other posts,
> that come across as:
> The HTX-202 ht can not be opened up to go outside of the 2 meter ham band=
> =2E =20
> Ether below 144.00 mhz or above 148.00 mhz.=0D
> =0D
> with all sorts of funky =0D and other character insertions in it? Unix? Mac?

As near as I can tell, the original query was in plain text format, but someone converted it to HTML format (complete with embedded graphics) when they sent a reply. My email was sent from a Windows machine with Outlook Express for the email client.

My message was a tongue in cheek request to that sender and others on the list to please try and remember to use plain text format instead of HTML format. At the bottom of my message, I posted the HTML code for the entire message that I was commenting about just to emphasize (at the risk of inducing the wrath of some because of its length) just how much extra baggage there is when messages are sent in HTML code, especially when there are graphics embedded in it.  I could comment on the HTML code itself, but I'm guessing about the =, =0D and =0E characters. The "extra" code appears to be hex code inserted by (presumably) my email client when it splits the long lines. Glancing at those characters, it looks like an equals sign was inserted when it split a word; =0D appears to represent a line break; the "=2E" seems to represent a period, but I'm not sure why because in regular HTML code, a period just shows up as a period.

I'm not sure what you mean when you comment about my other posts. Are you seeing "extra characters" in all email that I send to the list?

As well as reducing the message size drastically, using plain text format for email eliminates the possibility of malicious scripts being embedded. I'm sure that no one on the list would intentionally send one, but if their machine was infected by something, it is just making it easy to spread it to everyone on the list that doesn't have their email client set to display messages in plain text format only.

>From what I hear, the HTX-202 is a pretty reliable radio for packet or APRS use with good intermod rejection because it isn't designed with a wide front-end like a lot of transceivers that have wide out-of-band receive coverage.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
--
"I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am."