[aprssig] Hidden tracker with laptop access

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 30 18:08:07 EST 2004

> The laptop connector will be placed somewhere on or under the dash.  When
> I need to display APRS in the car or make configuration changes, I will
> simply plug in the laptop.  When the laptop is not connected, a plug could
> be installed that would select between the UHF or VHF radio.

If by 'display APRS in the car' you mean use the tracker for decoding,
you're going to be limited to TNC trackers like the KPC-3+, which isn't
going to do any sort of SmartBeaconing, or Smart-anything for that matter.

I'd probably go with a soundcard modem on the laptop and a standalone
tracker.

Or ask again in about 9 months when my new project is ready for testing.  =]

Scott
N1VG