[aprssig] Connecting more than once to a APRS server

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Nov 27 18:05:49 EST 2004

If you use the same call and SSID, it is the same as if you did this on
RF (not good).  As Curt pointed out, many servers prevent logging on
with the same call to also compensate for connections which do not
properly disconnect (and therefore leave a hung connection).
javAPRSSrvr does not consider callsigns with different SSID's to be the
same station.

Passcodes are based on the base callsign.  This allows software licensed
to a single operator to use any SSID.  No server (that I am aware of)
uses the passcode for anything other than login verification.  Passcodes
do not have any affect on whether your physical connection is accepted
or not.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net