[aprssig] Type acceptance and FCC certification?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 22 13:10:52 EST 2004

I know there have been discussions about this here before, but I can't find
them now.  What are the current legal requirements for operating hardware
under Part 97 rules?  It's my understanding that Type Acceptance now applies
only to certain power amplifiers.  It looks like FCC certification is still
required, but for what?  Only assembled commerical products?  Kits?
Apparently not homebrew.  Where do products like the Pocket Tracker stand?
Does it matter if you buy it pre-assembled?

Scott
N1VG