[aprssig] LORAN?

WB4GQK at aol.com WB4GQK at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 10:47:50 EST 2004

Hi Earl,         ,

I have a SEA-TEX (Si-Tex) Full Function Loran-c, model 720 receiver with
antenna sitting in my garage. I removed it from my boat, summer of 1997. Full
function means that both LAT/LON coordinates as well as LOPs are displayed
simultaneously in separate windows. The manual states careful plotting with 3 or more
station LOPs will produce accuracies +/- 1/16 of a mile. It's no small thing,
about 9" X 11" X 4" deep.

It was working when I brought my boat down from Tom's River to St Pete BUT
the Loran LAT/LON readings  never agreed with the GARMIN GPS which I also had
aboard. My very first experience with disagreeing equipment!! To say the least
it was unnerving, since going around Cape Fear we were 30 miles offshore in
shoal water.

The base of the antenna has some form of amplifier but can be broken into 2
parts. If someone is interested in the system let me know.

73 de Jim