[aprssig] Aerial Photos (Terraserver) and findU

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Sun Nov 14 12:47:05 EST 2004

On 11/14/04 at 12:36 PM John Place <jplace at sc.rr.com> sent:

>Tried this on myself and it does not show up to date info. My area is
>shown as a wooded lot.

Most likely the photos were taken before your hhouse was built.

How often a USGS aerial survey is done in an area depends on many things, for
example enviromentally sensitive areas like the Keys where I live are done more
often. Some areas have images that are very old.

You don't give a callsign, so I can't give you a date for your area, but if you
use the simple incantation for a find page:

http://map.findu.com/k4hg

then click on the first link for aerial photo (near the bottom of the page),
which takes you to TerraServer, in the line right above the map you will see the
date the photos were taken, in my case it says:

2 km SE of Cudjoe Key, Florida, United States  25 Feb 1999

so mine are 5 3/4 years old.

Steve K4HG