[aprssig] UI-View... and the Future - New Open Source Type Project?

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Fri Nov 12 20:44:42 EST 2004

I'm not a big fan of the GPL, but Curt's right, it'd let you reuse large
chunks of existing code.  The BSD license is less restrictive, but you can't
include GPL'd code in a BSD-licensed program.

Anything new that we develop needs to be highly modular - the APRS parsing
code needs to be totally separate from the TNC/AX.25 interface code and the
display code.  One thing that drives me nuts about Xastir (and all the other
APRS clients, for that matter) is its inability to do multiple map windows.
With a properly modular design, it wouldn't matter how many map windows are
running.

Any OOP design experts out there?

Scott
N1VG