[aprssig] New Old APRS Client Software Is now Available

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Sat Nov 6 13:10:07 EST 2004

Hi All
         PMmap is dead and no longer will be available.
I have taken PMmap and removed Precision Mapping from it.
Since the PM in PMmap stood for Precision Mapping I have renamed
PMmap to APRS-SCS.

So now there should be no confusion what type of Software APRS-SCS
is. It obviously is a new old 32 bit Windows Based APRS client
Software.

APRS-SCS has a lot of neat features but one of the neatest is the
fact that the user does not have to buy, or make Maps.
APRS-SCS uses the USGS 20000 mapping data.

What this means is that APRS-SCS makes its maps on the fly. All the
user has to do is input the map center and the map range and APRS-SCS
does the rest.
The maps that APRS-SCS displays are fully zoomable.

Yes the Maps that APRS-SCS displays look like APRSdos maps. That is
because APRS-SCS and APRSdos now use the same data. The difference is
that with APRSdos you had to make the maps first. APRS-SCS uses the
USGS data directly displaying the maps in real time.

APRS-SCS like PMmap can be thought of the Windows version of APRSdos.

Now that I am using the USGS data it has given me more control over
my displaying of APRS symbols. The color of the APRS Station call
signs match the color of the APRSdos symbols. Giving the user a
visual clue as to what the station is .

For example Stations with white call signs are message capable
stations with gray call signs are not message capable.
Objects with violet call signs are objects that are being transmitted
by other stations. Objects with yellow call signs are being
transmitted by your station etc....

To my knowledge APRS-SCS and APRSdos are the only APRS software that
gives its user this visual clue.

At this time I would like to publicly Thank John N8UR and the rest of
TAPR for hosting APRS-SCS.  Thank You.

My old web page would have been too slow to down load the 13 megs of
zipped up USGS data. Thank You TAPR for without you I could not offer
APRS-SCS to the amateur radio community.

To learn more about APRS-SCS and down load it please go to
http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs

Thank you all for your time in reading this.

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs