[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Fri Nov 5 10:10:35 EST 2004

On 11/4/04 at 7:37 PM Chris Rose <kb8uih at sbcglobal.net> sent:

>Once off, then the transmitter is useless.  With no
>one licensed to turn it back on it then becomes a boat
>anchor?  Or does that unlicensed person that turned it
>off have ability to turn it back on?

Speaking from the US rules, if you turn it off due to notification from the FCC,
you cannot resume transmission unless cleared by the FCC, so that would not be
done by an unlicensed person.

Please keep in mind that the FCC rules pertain to TRANSMISSIONS, not to power.
Transmission in this case are automatically controlled, so in the case of power
down for reasons other than FCC notification (say battery conservation), it
would be fine for people to turn on the tracker.

>Also, let me know what the timeleness of cesation of
>operation should be to stop an errant transmission
>that may cause problems with other users of the
>spectrum?  I would think that an order to stop
>transmission would have a definite time frame in which
>to do so (stop transmissions).

Perhaps it is surprising, but in fact the rules do not specify a time frame.

>If not, then why tell
>someone to stop and allow them to keep on
>transmitting?

I don't understand what you mean by this, could you re-state it please?

Steve