[aprssig] USB and Rs-232 GPS's

Robbie - WA9INF mwrobertson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 15:13:16 EDT 2004

I found an Etak USB for 20 bucks at a hamfest.. It shows up on my laptop
as port #3, I flipped the switch for NMEA and let UI-View32 run my D-700
in KISS mode.. Works like a charm, so I am tracking and I am able to see
all the APRS traffic and WX around me, providing I catch WX bulletins
from an I-Gate...

I seem to remember using WinAPRS with my D-700 in the car, and hitting
Cntrl E to make the GPS data come out the serial port into WinAPRS.. The
D-700 will spit the data out the RS-232 port while WinAPRS is running
the TNC. Not in APRS mode...

It can be done...

Robbie