[aprssig] Prototype hacker question...

Mike Yetsko myetsko at insydesw.com
Thu Jul 29 07:46:45 EDT 2004

OK, I made up a small PCB for a project.  The schematic design worked
so I had it laid out and sent to fab.  Only gonna make 10 or so.

The guy who laid out the board went to the web site for the one chip
manufacturer and got SOIC for the footprint.  Figured I want to put
SM parts down since that's what I do other projects.

No big deal.

Only the part isn't SOIC.  It's something called a 'wide' SOIC.

Now I have a problem...

I built up a one board yesterday, and hopefully will test today by taking
the 'wide SOIC' part and bending the leads under like J-Lead.  PITA!
But it appears to work.  At least I can program in-circuit.  Today
will be the real firetest.

So, anyone have any other ideas?  Or hints and tips on how to bend
leads consistantly to do this?  I don't want to have to spend a day
fudging each board together...

Mike