[aprssig] Wind speed/direction

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 28 13:44:10 EDT 2004

Is it valid to transmit wind speed without wind direction?  One
Xastir user is requesting that.  He has wind speed from his weather
station but no direction.

Gust speed can get transmitted in this case (weather station sends
that to Xastir), but because the wind direction is not available
from the weather station we're setting the wind speed and wind
direction fields to "invalid" in the packet.

What's the correct thing to do?

Spec says to set those fields to one of the following

    "000/000"
    ".../..."
    "   /   "

Is it ok to send ".../010"?  It appears to allow that in the spec,
but no examples like that are given.