[aprssig] convert serial weather data to tcp socket

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 28 04:00:17 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Tyler Allison wrote:

> I have an Oregon Scientific WMR-968 Weather Station currently hooked up to
> a Linux box running the wx200d software.  This is all fine and dandy and
> works like a charm.
>
> I want to replace the Linux server, since it does nothing but convert
> serial weather data into something I can get via a TCP port from a remote
> webserver.

> Does anybody know of a way to take serial output from a WMR-968 and make
> it available via a tcp port WITHOUT installing any 'virtual serial'
> drivers?

It would be hard to do with a C or a Perl program.

> What would be great is to be able to connect to say...port 8888 and have
> the device spew serial data over the TCP session.

Similarly to how GPSD works for GPS data?

> Another option might be to take the WMR-968 data, run it through a device
> to convert it to an APRS weather data packet and make that available via
> TCP port 8888
>
> I know I COULD connect the WMR968 up to a radio and transmit the weather
> data on APRS but I am unable to hit a reliable IGATE in my area with even
> 50watts of power so my only option is to go ethernet.

Since you said you want to get rid of the Linux server, I can't
directly answer it.

What you could do though is run Xastir and wx200d on that machine.
Xastir can connect to the 'net and send the weather packets out.
The latest CVS version of Xastir also has a listening socket on port
2023 that will spit out all data received from the 'net and all data
that Xastir and any connected clients transmit.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer