[aprssig] Homemade Geiger Counter

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jul 27 12:32:40 EDT 2004

> FYI, you can buy a geiger counter for 10 bucks and free shipping at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7321&item=3829777276&rd=1

Good source for tubes, at least.  My CDV700 lasted about two weeks before
the regulator died.  Buying a replacement (Corotron?) wasn't worth it, hence
the microcontroller-based project.  And keep in mind that while some of
these take D cells, many require 67.5-volt 'B' batteries.

Halogen-quenched GM tubes should theoretically have an unlimited lifespan.
I think organically quenched tubes will eventually wear out, but modern ones
at least should last a long time.

Scott
N1VG