[aprssig] [ui-view] APRSWA - New Tier 2 server

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Thu Jul 22 05:03:36 EDT 2004

Hello all,

    As some may already know, there is a new APRS server, APRSWA,
northwest.aprs2.net online and ready for client connections. The APRSWA
server is a part of the Tier 2 Server Network, primarily serving the APRS
users in the northwest area of the United States.
    This server will offer a regional port 14579 serving the Pacific
Northwest, including the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana,
Wyoming, and the extreme northern sections of Utah, Nevada, and California.
    This server also offers the standard list of Tier 2 ports, such as the
1314 message only port (for use by unattended IGate setups), 2323 WX data
output port, and the 14580 user-definable filter port.
    While APRSWA offers an entire U.S. server port, I'll ask that the users
please
try to use the 14580 Filter-defined port or regional 14579 port. This will
allow more overall client connects. The 14580 Filter-defined port uses the
same filter commands as any of the other Tier 2 servers. For more
information about the Tier 2 server network, visit http://www.aprs2.net

    I hope the users find this regional Tier 2 APRS server useful and as
reliable as any of the other servers you've been using.
    Thanks to Phil - AD6HN, Dick - KB6ZVA, Gerhard - F5VAG for helping me
get set up and running and to Pete - AE5PL for the impressive javAPRSSRvr
software and Roger - SM5NRK for the javAPRSFilter adjunct.
    I welcome any comments, questions or suggestions.

Server:         northwest.aprs2.net
Web pages:  http://northwest.aprs2.net
                    http://northwest.aprs2.net:14501 (Server Status)

Randy - KK6RW