[aprssig] "Emergency!" test convention?

Danny danny at messano.net
Wed Jul 21 20:26:45 EDT 2004

Here's my $.02

I work in radio.  I am in charge of the Primary and Secondary EAS stations that serve approx 300,000 people.

I have fought for years to keep various entities from activating with REAL emergency codes, which they claim are the only way to test the system.   My argument has always been, "If I can hear you, and I can decode ANYTHING from you, as long as your programming is correct for the desired codes, it will go through just fine".

I think the exact same thing applies to APRS.. actually, it may be even simpler.  As WB4APR stated, move to another frequency and test your setup.  If you can decode your emergency beacon, you are at least sending them correctly.  Now, send out a standard message using the same path you programmed your emergency beacon to.  Did it cover the desired area?  Did it make it APRS-IS?  There is NO need to QRM the APRS system with test emergency beacons because it's way too easy to test them without doing so.

This "I have to test it at 1500 watts to blow the dust out of it" mentality just isn't needed.

Danny
KE4RAP

--

Danny