[aprssig] Re: D700A gps interface problem

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 07:10:49 EDT 2004

Stephen-
 From what I've seen on 3 different model DeLuos, all recent, they are
shipped with a default not to use power saving, so there is no need to send
them a "wake" signal or pull a line high to wake them. Of course, it is
possible some units shipped with a different default enabled. DeLuo has some
manuals available in PDF format that explain this--but their manuals don't
always match the units exactly.
 Also, RS-232 is enabled by default, or at least it was in mine. Some of
their units are dual RS-232/USB and from the little I know, they will
respond to either interface without needing any forcing.
 I had them hooked up to a Byonics PocketTrack, which is supposed to treat
the GPS identically to their TinyTrack. Of course, since his GPS is running
and talking to his PC on a standard port--which won't exert any wakeup
signal--there's good reason to try confirming any changes in the Kenwood
before rewiring the GPS. (And, confirming the programming in the GPS, via
GPSManager, the PC stream, or other tools.)

 Maybe a simple wiring problem to the radio?? The usual pins 2/3 being
reversed? (I'm good at doing that.<G>)