[aprssig] Re: PL 100

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Jul 18 16:50:50 EDT 2004

PL (PrivateLine [tm]) is a Motorola trademark for CTCSS, which is the
generic tone-coded squelch method, and stands for Continuous Tone Coded
Squelch System.  The design process was singnificant, as there were,
originally, 32 separate subaudible tones which had no harmonic nor
heterodyne interrelationships with any other tone in the group.  For the
record, GE called their version "Channel Guard" and it was interoperable
with PL and the other CTCSS versions, although some of the 2-way sales
guys would have you believe otherwise.

It doesn't matter what you call it.  PL was both an encode and decode
implementation of the CTCSS standard.  So was Channel Guard.  There's no
difference between CTCSS and PL, save the proprietary nature of the name
of PL.

gerry n5jxs