[aprssig] PL 100

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 12:39:03 EDT 2004

  PL is encoding a tone or tone squelch or CTS or CTCSS on some radios.  Check your instruction manual for info on Tones or PLs and it may clear up some confusion.  When a PL is used on a repeater or on simplex to close its/your squelch, a transmitter must transmit to you the correct tone to open your squelch to allow you to listen to that transmission.  Same for you to open another hams/repeater's squelch control if they have their receiver set for Tone Squelch mode.  You need to transmit a tone to open their receiver.

  Chris
  KB8UIH