[aprssig] APRS Monitoring and activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 31 11:42:24 EST 2004

>>> Wes Johnston <aprs at kd4rdb.com> 12/30/04 12:13 PM >>>
>So far as I know, UI-View is the only client that will
>decode an APRS position in a Net/ROM beacon due to
>the extra text in the beginning of the packet.

APRSdos will and will also decode ANY packet as a STATUS
packet if no other Status has otherwise been received from
a station.  This is just for this purpose, since monitoring all
Packet channels was part of the fundamental history of
APRS.

This all started back in 1983 when we first started PACKET
network up the East coast.  I was the "network" map maker.
But I soon realized that every map I made was obsolete the
day after I released it.  That's when I began encouraging
ALL BBS's, nodes, and packet stations to include their
POSITION in their beacons so tha t simply monitoring a
channel would quickly build up a Network Map.

Thus the importance of PHG circles, Ranges, and the relative
un-importance of street level maps in APRSdos.  APRS
was for Monitoring PACKETS and displayin the NETWORK.
only later did we add GPS and vehichle tracking.  And
unfortunately, most clones only focus on this aspect and
do not do a good job of displaying the networks...

>Makes it kinda hard to plot the digipeaters on other networks.
>Maybe it's better to monitor another frequency and use the
>MHEARD function of your TNC?

Yep, just what I am talking about.  And UIview doesnt
even display PHG circles or ranges so you can see the
network potential connectivity!

Bob

Wes