[aprssig] NetNodes, the future

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 29 13:45:38 EST 2004

>>> "Chris Rose" <kb8uih at sbcglobal.net> 12/29/04 1:00:05 PM >>>
>  This NETgate idea is another way to set up an Igate?
> An Igate is an internet gate.  Or is this an autmatic system
>that you connect to with a  direct entry of one call sign?

Yes, this is just pie-in-the-sky dreaming about what else we
could do on RF with packet for computer-to-computer links
that we cannot do on the APRS channel.  But it requires no
special hardware or software.

This NETgate idea is SEPARATE from APRS.  But it is a
capability we really need in the field if we ever want to use our
laptops and mobiles to handle more than one-line simple APRS
messages. An APRS I-Gate is just a world-wide "monitoring" and
data collection system to feed the internet and provide
one-line message delivery globally.

A NetGATE is similar, but permits one-on-one interference
free global conectivity between any two hams knowing only
their callsigns.    And it can operate at 1200 or 9600 baud
deopending only on the radio used.  It does not exist.  It
is just an idea of what we could and should be doing to
augment APRS for good mobile and  portable and emergency
response.

Bob

 I am getting so confused with the "fixes"
and am not absorbing them readily.  I am sorry about that.  I'm in an
area
that doesn't have enough coverage and am wanting to set up more RF
digis.  I
am not in a situation that many are where there are too many digis or
too
many operators.  There is one digi SE of me and a low profile digi in
my
county but none N, NE, W or SW in bordering counties.  There was one
west of
me but disappeared about a year ago.

  HELP.

  Chris