[aprssig] NetNodes, the future

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:55:57 EST 2004

The simple way to state this is: "Source Routing is EVIL".  The user
should never have to decide what path the packets should take.

What we're talking about here, AGAIN, is a next-generation network
topology for APRS, and now, for connected packet operations.  The two
are not mutually exclusive.

What IS mutually exclusive is the concept of ad hoc, off-the-cuff
"design" with a high degree of buzz-word compliance, and a well-designed
and functional network architecture.

There have been discussions before on a formal next-gen design process.
  Between a Not-Invented-Here syndrome and derision from some
significant players, little's been accomplished.

I'm willing to entertain and host a discussion of interested players on
a separate list, with periodic feedback and discussion to this list.  I
believe the serious players need to have an open field for their
discussions and that the signal/noise ratio on the SIG would be disruptive.

Are there any takers?

gery