[aprssig] NetNodes, the future

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed Dec 29 10:23:42 EST 2004

The IGate system currently in place where a user needs NO knowledge of
local "nodes".  You might want to take the time, before another inane
reply, to study what they are doing in Germany like I recommend in my
first post.

> >It sure would be nice to get back to KISS and ENcourage APRS
> use, not
> >DIScourage it.
>
> Sorry, I have to disagree here too on two counts:

So you now want to discourage APRS use?  Bob, time to come back to
earth.

Related: I have been monitoring APRS usage world-wide over the past
year.  ZERO growth!  Usage doesn't appear to have declined, but there is
no more growth (about 40,000 stations and objects over a moving 30 day
average).  The more difficult you make APRS to use by imposing
artificial barriers, the more likely that there will be a significant
decline in usage over the next few years.  Yes, excessive paths are a
bandwidth problem.  Yes, we would like to have independence from the
Internet for SOME of the backbone capabilities.  But, there are ways to
handle this without turning away the thousands of appliance operators
who want nothing more than a simple tracking system with some messaging.
Your ways are neither simple nor conducive to bring in new operators.

Yes, the Internet did help speed the demise of TheNet, NetRom, and
RoseNet in the US.  It also helped cause the explosive growth in APRS
world-wide.  Why would anyone want to use a system where they have to
spend hours trying to figure out how to make a connection and then get a
slow speed, unreliable connection (AX.25 1200 bps node system) when they
could have high speed, reliable communications with minimal effort
(Internet)?  If you want to know why WinLink has become popular (and we
are beginning to use it here for ARES), all you need to do is look at
what a user has to do use it (use any standard email software which the
user already has).  Bob, that is KISS.  RELAY,WIDE is KISS.
RELAY,WIDE2-2 is KISS.  I352-2,I302-2, etc. is not KISS.  Making
connections via AE5PL-10 from a mobile (or any other station) is not
KISS.  Multiple frequencies for APRS operations is not KISS.

Flame away.  I have better things to do than pursue this thread further
(like making an APRS midlet for cell phones and supporting APRS-IS).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net