[aprssig] Portable Ops from 12v via 115 VAC

Richard Amirault ramirault at erols.com
Wed Dec 29 09:57:54 EST 2004

Third paty comment....

Bob, you don't address his main point .. that an inverter (at or near peak
load) draws *considerable* amps from the vehicle electrical system.

And, assuming NO LOSSES (100% efficient) a 12v rig drawing 20 amps will draw
20 amps from the vehicle   (20 amp 12vdc into the inverter, 120vac out to
the power supply, 12vdc out to the rig) And of course it wlll be more
because of losses.  YES, for *transfering* the power, over a long distance,
the higher voltage is better, but his point (I think) was that a vehicle may
not be able to sustain this drain for very long.

Now, having said that, I'm not sure how much current you will need to run
all your equipment. This will vary, of course, from person to person but
obviously peak power is on transmit, and you won't be transmitting all the
time, or even most of the time (unless you were net control, or something).

Richard Amirault              N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA          Go Fly A Kite