[aprssig] NetNodes, the future

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed Dec 29 07:08:54 EST 2004

And why have NetROM, TheNet, and Rose all but disappeared?  Because they
provided a difficult interface where prior local knowledge is mandatory
(among other issues).  Why has APRS prospered where other packet
networks have failed (Bill, you touched on this in your post)?  Because
I do not have to configure my radio or TNC for local operation (one
configuration works almost universally (RELAY,WIDE or WIDE2-2).  And how
do I communicate with the rest of the world?  By simply addressing a
message to the remote station (no path settings required).  Have you
ever tried to figure out paths on a Kenwood D7 or D700 while mobile?
Not something to be done by the faint of heart (or the driver of the
vehicle).

Well, gee.  We don't want to use the Internet.  Ok, look at Germany for
an example.  They are running APRS over a RF backbone by using IGates
interconnected over reduced feeds.  They still have Internet
connectivity, but it is not critical to area operations.  And it is
highly unlikely that Internet access will be lost over a 100 mile+ area
("the most reliable communications with people in the area affected by
the tsunami is text messaging").  Why is the last quote of a news report
true?  Because the data networks are still functional as they are less
exposed to individual line outages.

It sure would be nice to get back to KISS (and I am not talking about a
TNC setting) and ENcourage APRS use, not DIScourage it.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net

(Do we set up for I35, I30, I20, or I45 linking?  What about US75?
Hmmm.  Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.)