[aprssig] Parallel UHF APRS level-4 node system.

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 15:00:45 EST 2004

John Denison wrote on 12/28/2004, 2:36 PM:

 > We left 1200 baud
 > behind years ago in computer modems, so why is ham radio still lingering
 > behind? If high speed data occurs on wireless routers at 2.4 GHz, then
 > there is no reason why we can't meet or exceed that standard with our
 > own implementations.

The whole idea was that 1200 baud data in Bell 202 AFSK format can be
stuffed into the mic jack of any <<UNMODIFIED>> FM transceiver and taken
off the speaker terminal on receive.

Higher baud rates require that connections be made directly to the
radio's innards (i.e. receiver discriminator and DC-coupled to the
radio's transmit modulator).

Given the extraordinary amount of bandwidth expended on this and other
lists about merely wiring trivial cables between GPSs, TNCs, TinyTraks
and radio mic/accessory jacks, it may be unreasonable to expect large
numbers of mainstream appliance operators to actually CUT INTO THEIR
RADIOS to implement greater-than-1200-baud data transmisssion.

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: