[aprssig] More thoughts on (was) Connected Packet

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Tue Dec 28 14:41:36 EST 2004

Yes, unless you consider Hyperterm "special software".   Or the equivalent
in other OS's

>Can you talk to a winlink telpac node with no special
>software?  If so, then that is ideal.  If not, then that is a
>significant problem for a come-as-you-are system...

++++++next response============

There is a system in place, Winlink provides an "internet replacement /
alternative backbone" via Pactor I / II / III.  Surely the internet is not
down worldwide as a result of the Tsunami.

It will be interesting to see how much traffic is passed via HF digital
modes as a result of the event.

I suspect it will be far more than will be passed via APRS in any mode.

>Those work great until the Internet goes away.  In a serious emergency
>such as the one experienced in the Indian Ocean basin, Internet access
>would be nearly impossible.  It is always desireable to have a system in
>place that can operate without the use of a hardline connection
>anywhere.  The move away from hardline is necessary for speed and
>availability, but there will be a disaster in this country some day,
>unfortunately, that will wake people up to the necessity of an un-wired
>backbone.

I have had a TelPac node setup in Macon but I have no other hams in the
area who are interested in digital at all. Mention Packet and you get a
diatribe about ROSE switches and @#$#$%^%^^&& SYSOPS.