[aprssig] More thoughts on (was) Connected Packet

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Tue Dec 28 14:20:04 EST 2004

Spider wrote:

> Not true all together, Phil.  Ocean going ships use SailMail all the
> time without the internet and SailMail is pretty much the same as
> WinLink. Although VHF Telpac nodes might use the internet the plan for
> my area is to have two or three
> telpac Nodes that have different Internet providers.  If one fails,
> others will work.  And if they do not work, The HF nodes all over the
> US are there to use.
> Also, the same exact TNC running as a TelPac Node can also serve as a
> Pbbs when needed.
>
> As I pointed out, it's an excellant tool to be part of a
> communications plan.  I would not count on any single method
> of communications in a total EMCOMM plan.

I was not aware that WinLink utilized HF backbones as well as Internet.
That certainly changes my perspecitve on its usefulness!

> Phil, with a TNC and another radio and antenna, you could be up and
> running as a TelPac node in no time.  It would be a great service for
> your local area....you have everything else that is needed and it will
> run right along with the APRS server stuff.  Consider it!  And, worse
> case is that it's kind fun to play with.

I have TNCs and radios to spare - I thought there was already a WinLink
node in the LA Basin here.  If not, I wouldn't mind setting one up and
exploring its usefulness!

73
Phil - AD6NH