[aprssig] More thoughts on (was) Connected Packet

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Tue Dec 28 13:49:27 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip B. Pacier" <ad6nh at arrl.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] More thoughts on (was) Connected Packet

> Spider wrote:
>
> Those work great until the Internet goes away.  In a serious emergency
> such as the one experienced in the Indian Ocean basin, Internet access
> would be nearly impossible.

Not true all together, Phil.  Ocean going ships use SailMail all the time
without the internet and SailMail is pretty much the same as WinLink.
Although VHF Telpac nodes might use the internet the plan for my area is to
have two or three
telpac Nodes that have different Internet providers.  If one fails, others
will work.  And if they do not work, The HF nodes all over the US are there
to use.
Also, the same exact TNC running as a TelPac Node can also serve as a Pbbs
when needed.

As I pointed out, it's an excellant tool to be part of a communications
plan.  I would not count on any single method
of communications in a total EMCOMM plan.

Phil, with a TNC and another radio and antenna, you could be up and running
as a TelPac node in no time.  It would be a great service for your local
area....you have everything else that is needed and it will run right along
with the APRS server stuff.  Consider it!  And, worse case is that it's kind
fun to play with.

Jim, WA6OFT