[aprssig] More thoughts on (was) Connected Packet

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Tue Dec 28 13:25:00 EST 2004

Richard Amirault wrote:

> Hmmmm ...  don't mean to stir up the pot .. but I don't agree that it
> should necessarily be on another frequency.  My station is designed to
> operate as an emergency BBS, Digi, and KAnode during emergency times
> (defined as loss of commercial power)  It will NOT be an APRS station
> during those times (the computer will not be powered)

That would be difficult in So. Cal, where we are already well beyond
channel saturation.  Additional BBS packets and email messages, which
tend to be longer in length than APRS UI packets, will only make things
much worse at present.

> Under those circumstances (widespread loss of commercial power) the
> local APRS network will be a shadow of it's former self (if it is
> still there at all)

Again, not necessarily the case everywhere.  When that has happened the
few times since I've been on APRS here in So. Cal., I hardly noticed.
Many stations are emergency powered and the digis are as well.

73
Phil - AD6NH
http://www.aprsca.net