[aprssig] Parallel UHF APRS lewvel-4 node system.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 28 11:05:58 EST 2004

And since level-4 back-channel nodes will not typically be
used by mobiles in motion, we wont need nearly so many
as we do for APRS.  Probably one one for every 3
existing digis to cover the whole state.

And such systems PROBABLY already exist everywhere
and are just underused.  Wasnt there a national UHF
backbone channel already!?

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 12/28/04 10:53:26 AM >>>
> > ..., it might be time to revitalize the normal packet BBS
> > node system in support of local *connected* mode... as well.
>
>... one of the first antennas to go up..., will be a BBS system.

Yes, BBS's are verty valuable.  Great Job.,
But even more valuable are the "nodes" so that you can establish
and maintain a connection across quite a distance and multiple hops.

Since they operate at level 4, they are far, far more efficient
for passing point-to-point traffic and should be considered as
an adjunct to any APRS system.  In that regard, I wonder if
we should look for an APRS UHF channel just for NODES?

In the past, I had *no*interest* in trying to establish a universal
APRS UHF frequency, because we wanted to keep 144.39
as the universal user chnanel and encourage much more
efficient UHF use via dedicatged backbones and links (not all
one the same jamming frequency)..

But putting up a second TNC at all APRS sites with a "NODE"
on a common UHF frequency would be a fantastic way to
support one-time-as-needed connections between users to
meet the real computer-to-computer needs of users.

And since ANY PC has a sound card and can therefore be
a packet station with ANY radio, it is time to get HAM radio
back on the packet air!

On UHF, they can be co-located at APRS digis sited with
no impact... on 144.39 (or other national 2m freq).  And
since most of the operation will not be mobile, then the
disadvantages of UHF are minimal...

de WB4APR, Bob

Please see http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm for registration
information. UI-View currently does not work with Pmap ver. 7, but the
Ver. 7 Pmap server is in development.

.
Yahoo! Groups Links

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM