[aprssig] D700 & USB

Mark A. Lewis mark at siliconjunkie.net
Fri Dec 24 18:55:28 EST 2004

So, the only thing you really gain is the extended VHF rx frequencies.
But, you give up all UHF functions.

If you put the APRS on the A VFO, you can TX and RX VHF or UHF on the B
VFO.

I wouldnt call taking away half of your TX ability giving you options.
Particularly when you have to go into the menu and change the data band
to the A VFO if you want to use UHF at all. It's not like it is a one
button flip.

The only viable reason I can think of to use the B VFO for data is if
you needed the extended VHF RX frequencies. Guess it is all in what you
want to do.

Just because it us usable, it doesn't mean it isn't crippled. I just
means it's operation is severely hindered. I would call giving up an
entire band crippled.

But, hey, if you want to setup your rig that way, great. Thats why we
have options.