[aprssig] EMERGENCY BEACON FROM KD4UFD-14

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 23 10:29:34 EST 2004

If somone is in an emergency he probably does not have
time to play radio and key in details using his thumb and
TTkeyboard..

But if he sent the message, one needs to assume he
needs help.   I'd think the thing to do would be to
check on some obvious things:

1) Where is he (in a mountain ravine or K-mart parking lot)
2) Does his STATUS text say anything?  (it should)
but I think that FINDU does nothing with the STATUS
part which is a problem
3) Replay his track history.  Was he moving at 60 MPH
up until the minute before the emergency?

etc.
If nothing else, then you have an unknown emergency
at a location.  That's the best you can do... I guess...

Bob

>>> n5ysq at cox.net 12/21/04 1:08:20 PM >>>
I did receive an email from kd4ufd-14 today, thanking me and others for
our
response... Glad to hear Tom was OK...    But
The message I sent back, when I received the EMERGENCY BEACON never
was
ack'ed, and therefore I never knew if me, or anyone else was able to
help.
Although I can see the thinking of     ONE WAY COMMUNICATIONS     it
does
nothing to insure COMMUNICATIONS..   What should you and I do, if we
see /
hear or receive an EMERGENCY BEACON from someone,  call 911,   try to
get in
touch with the calling party,  as I and possibly others did, maybe call
or
try to locate someone in the nearby area if possible????    Bottom line
is
this,   if you do NOT have full round trip COMMUNICATIONS someone, and
quite
possibly both parties will be left in the DARK...

Have a nice day, and a Merry Christmas..

Billy (N5YSQ)
Paris, TX