[aprssig] Packet Radio Tone Generation

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sat Dec 18 20:26:29 EST 2004

I don't think zero crossings would be very accurate for this.  Most AFSK
receivers are some sort of phase locked loop, I believe.  There's a lot more
involved in receiving than sending, if you're going to do it all in
software.  In fact, if anyone knows of a good AFSK decoding DSP algorithm
for the ARM7TDMI, let me know.

But back to the sending algorithm:  Start with an array of values
representing a full sine wave.  Mine has 64 samples.  Send one sample to the
DAC every 1/76800 sec and it'll put out a 1200 hz tone.  Every 1/140800 sec
and it's 2200 hz.  I find it's easier to change the step size than the time
period, though.  A separate counter keeps track of the 1200 bps data clock -
there's no connection at all to the phase of the sine wave.

My fsk code also deals with NRZI encoding, bit stuffing, and FCS calculation
while it's sending.  You could always do that beforehand if you've got
enough RAM, but I don't.

Scott
N1VG