[aprssig] 30 Meters

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Fri Dec 17 07:43:23 EST 2004

aa3jy at winlink.org wrote:
> Ok..who on this list is on 30?

I just tuned my HF radio and KAM+ to 10.151 MHz LSB and noticed there is
quite a lot of traffic from central Europe. From what I could decode, a
lot of the traffic seems to be similar to the traffic seen on VHF
channels, possibly even gatewayed from VHF to HF.

Is this normal use of 30m APRS in Europe? From what little I have read
elsewhere, the preference on HF should be for minimal fixed/urban
station use and more back country mobiles and maritime users. This makes
sense to me as they probably can't access the VHF nets at all so HF is
the only option to get themselves heard.

   Tapio

PS. If there is a "Europe-centric" APRS list somewhere I'd be interested
to know about it.