[aprssig] bad PHG, or lots of big towers?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Wed Dec 15 18:53:01 EST 2004

On 12/15/04 at 3:34 PM Chris Rose <kb8uih at sbcglobal.net> sent:

>I don't want a legal battle.  I wish you had posted
>the entire example I posed.  I thought it was an
>intelligent point to make.  Sorry it was wasted here.

With the data given, the question could not be answered, so I didn't bother to
waste bandwidth reposting your example. HAAT is a technical calculation
requiring the averaging of many elevations, in a manner already posted to the
SIG. The answer to the question depends on the exact topography of the mountain
and the plain. Only the simplest case, a tower (or perhaps a mountian only
extending out a mile or so) on an absolutely flat plain can be answered simply
(that is the altitude of the plain, since all the points you will be averaging
will be the same). Reading the technical procedure given on the sig yesterday
(and the more precise FCC procedure repeated now) should make that clear.

Sorry you got bent out of shape, I was only trying to point out that the answer
to your question had already been given, that the HAAT must be calculated...

Steve K4HG