[aprssig] anythingweather.com

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Wed Dec 15 10:51:22 EST 2004

On 12/15/04 at 9:59 AM John Mc Hugh <johnk.mchugh at att.net> sent:

>Don't know where they get the data from.

It isn't findU, I routinely watch my web stats for anyone grabbing large amounts
of data.

I have fielded a number of requests over the years from commercial companies
wanting to use findU's data, all but one I've rejected. I do not feel I have the
right to OK the use of other people's data for commercial purposes. Only the
last one (less than a week ago) did I give a conditional OK, they wanted to use
a small number of stations in coastal regions, and stated they would not use any
station unless the owner gave permission. So far they have not started grabbing
any data.

>For zip 33176 it shows my 2 wx stations with my old call of KU4GY which
>has not been used for 6 months

My guess is they wrote their own APRS stream parser, but need to add stations
manually, since they need to use zip code and city names for their indexing.

Steve K4HG