[aprssig] bad PHG, or lots of big towers?

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Dec 14 13:11:17 EST 2004

> I sure that this same situation is found in a lot of locations around
the
> West, and other parts of the world as well.  Who wouldn't want to put
a digi
> on a mountaintop?

We have several mountain top digis, the problem is that they hear SO
much out of the area traffic that they have a hard time hearing local
traffic.  We're now 'filling in' with lower level machines that act as
relays to get local data to the mountaintop and around the local area.
Our 3100' digi routinely hauls in stuff from 200+ miles away, far more
than we need or want.  Listening to the amount of data up there at even
that altitude it is almost a continuous string.

Until the network progresses to a backbone on another frequency we are
stuck sharing, but having one on a high mountaintop does not (by
default) make it the best choice.

73

N7HQR at OCRG.ORG

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
Telecom Manager               ( (
LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
(541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
(541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
(541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
daron.wilson at lhmorris.com    |____|