[aprssig] APRS-SCS IGATE Opinions

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Sun Dec 12 17:15:08 EST 2004

HI ALL
           Thank you all who responded.
I think what I will do is have the switch.
The default position for the switch will be in the "Do not send APRS
Messages to RF"

When thrown in the pass message traffic to RF direction another
bunch of fields will become enabled.
One will be a time field. The user can input the length of time that
APRS-SCS will hold off on sending APRS message packets out on RF.
If APRS-SCS does not hear the message packet it is going to send out
via RF in the amount of time the user has selected then APRS-SCS will
send the packet to RF.

Of course if APRS-SCS hears the packet it will not send the packet.

On the one hand I am glad I asked on the other I have made a lot more
work coding wise for myself. Oh Boy what fun! I am going to enjoy
this.

The last two sentences are not to be taken sarcastically. I really do
enjoy programming challenges. Which is why I do this stuff in the
first place.

For those that missed my original message.

>           I am looking for some opinions.
> I wonder if I have come to the right place :-)
>
> Over the Holiday work break I am planning on adding the ability for
> APRS-SCS to IGATE.
>
> Most if not all APRS client Software that can IGATE has a switch that
> turns on or off the IGATING of APRS Messages back to RF.
>
> The question is, Is this switch worth while?
>
> Do most if not all IGATE operators turn this switch on?
> If the answer is that all IGATE owners turn this switch on then is
> there a need for such a switch in the first place?
>
> The reason I ask is. I do remember a lot of confusion with questions such
> as. How come my IGATE does not pass APRS messages to RF?
>
> If APRS-SCS does not have such a switch and if set up as an IGATE it
> always passes APRS Messages to RF then this would get rid of that problem.
> But on the other hand are there a lot of IGATE owners who would want such
> a switch?
>
> If I decide to have a switch which mode should be the default.
> Message traffic passed to RF on? Or Message traffic passed to RF off?

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs