[aprssig] Re: Overlay symbols -- WAS: New FINDU cgi for searching by SYMBOL

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 7 10:02:40 EST 2004

>>> "Stephen H. Smith" <WA8LMF2 at aol.com> 12/6/04 5:26:06 PM >>>
>You can see my current symbol assingnments at:
    http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm

Great page!  thanks.  Here are some comments:

1) The words
" Choosing a text character from the table above causes the symbol
" in the corresponding position from one of the tables below to be
" displayed. The cross-hair symbols occupy symbol slots that have
" not yet been assigned.

I wouldnt say a "text" character here.  Choosing *any* character
is correct and helps to remove any confusion with Overlay characters.

2) The words:
" Certain symbols can be overlaid with a single letter or number of
" your choice. Placing one of the text characters highlighted in
yellow
" in the position between lat and long,  causes the symbol in the
" corresponding position from the secondary table to be displayed.

Should read:
* Some of the Alternate Table symbols can have an alphanumeric
* overlay.  The alternate symbols that can have an overlay are
* indicated in yellow above.  The overlay character, 0 through 9 or
* letter A through Z is placed in the position after longitude.

3) I would add that:
* Some symbols were intended to be top-down views so that the
* actual symbol itself could orient itself 0-360 degrees to actually
* point in the direction of movement to eliminate confusion
* for public displays.  This variable orientation is not possible with

* simple ICONS, but are indicated here for completeness
* with the original APRS symbol set.  These are the airplanes,
* (pri ' and ^ and alt ^), the car (alt >), the Triangle (alt n)

Ill put my coments on the symbols themselves in another email
thanks.  This is good that we are trying to get everything consistent.

Bob, Wb4APR