[aprssig] Authentication over APRS was: Ab)Use of APRS for telemetry? Anyone doing it?

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 11:47:20 EST 2004

This is one of the most misunderstood rules in Part 97. While it may seem I
am just replaying your words, please read the next sentence and note the
order in which I make the statement.

 "Encryption is prohibited for the purposes of 'obscuring the meaning' of a
transmission."

 Encryption has always been permitted for security purposes; that is to say
an encoded/encrypted password exchange system is perfectly valid to keep a
remote control link secure from unauthorized access. The most common example
in the ham community has always been the satellite command links.

Its a matter of intent. You must use an accepted encryption scheme so the
boys at Ft Meade can crack your system, but it effectively leaves 99+% of
the population unable to screw with your equipment.

--
Cheers ... 73 de brian, n1bq, underhill center, vermont