[aprssig] APRSPoint

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Sun Dec 5 14:38:52 EST 2004

Hello Ken.

It is my opinion that some program needs to come along and obsolete UI-View.
Respectfully, with the passing of Roger, UI-View will no longer have the
same vision Roger had for it and that is becoming very apparent with
policies that are being handed down....not Roger's vision and not his
policy.  Add-ons will occur but I doubt seriously if the main program will
go any farther than where it's at right now.
So, for me, it's time to move onto something else......but the big question
is to what?  I went over to APRSPoint in hopes of seeing some exciting new
program and what I saw was a huge sales pitch for a product that does not
hold a candle to UI-View or Xastir.  I did not see anything that indicated
future plans for the product either so it leaves one wondering where it's
going if anywhere.  Certainly not worth a dime to me at this point simply
because it does not do a tenth of what I have now.  I read where it
continually compared itself to and how much better it was than WinAPRS and
that in itself did not impress me at all.  To me, a product that is good
does not need to compare itself with any other product and should be able to
stand on it's own.  Maybe Curt should add it to the APRS comparison list and
see how it measures to all others.  It might be there, I can never remember
the URL!
If you look at the software out there for APRS, Xastir is really the only
product out there of a high caliper that is still being actively updated and
moving on with new technology/ new ideas to the best of my knowledge.  I can
not think of any other program actively moving forward.  Personally, I am
not savvy running Linux anything so Xastir is beyond my use.  Is there light
at the end of the tunnel for APRS or has it reached it's potential limit?
Only time will tell.

If APRSPoint continues to develop, it may just be the next big kid on the
block!  The timing is right.  I hope it does...or something does!  With the
likes of UI-View and Xastir whoever the next big kid is has their work
cutout for them!  It also needs to support Public Service and it needs to
understand Government policies in regards to software being run on
government systems.  UI-View's new registration policies have shut the door
on UI-View's use on most all government systems in the United States so that
leaves out many public service opportunites for hams.....but I suppose
that's what hams are use too, slamming doors in their faces.

73

Jim, WA6OFT